RETURN TO CAMPUS – NOT SO FAST!

Jon Jackson

You may have heard the Los Angeles County is permitting small groups of students with special needs to go onto school campuses for in person services beginning next Monday, September 14. These include students with IEPs (Special Education students) and English Learners. As you probably also realize, NVMI is collocated on the campus of Valley Oaks Center for Enriched Studies (VOCES – formerly Sun Valley High School) under an arrangement known as Prop 39. Part of that arrangement requires us to adhere to certain provisions in a pandemic such as this. Until LAUSD allows its students on campus for such purposes, NVMI will not be permitted to do so. I will keep you informed, but I doubt there will be any quick forward motion on getting these students back on campus. As I find out more, I will let you all know as soon as possible, but I suspect it will still be some time before we are allowed by LAUSD to even have such small groups on campus. In the meantime, we are allowing individual students who require special education assessments or assessments for the English Language Proficiency Assessment for California (ELPAC) to come on campus for such assessments on a case-by-case, as needed basis. If you have any questions about Special Education, please reach out to Mrs. Uribe at [email protected] and if you have any questions about the ELPAC or our English Language Development program, please reach out to Mrs. Giangrasso at [email protected].