Supe’s Corner 5/10/21

There are several important announcements I am making in this week’s Supe’s Corner, so please carefully read this entire article, and if you have any questions, please email or call or text me directly.

1. SUMMER MISSION COLLEGE CLASSES – We will once again offer FREE college classes to any interested student aged 13 and up. Here are the classes we will offer:
    1. Biology 3 with lab – Introduction to Biology (4 semester college units) will be offered June 28 – August 20 – 8 weeks from 8AM-noon every Monday through Thursday
    2. Math 110 with support 5 semester college units) – An introduction to algebra will be offered for students currently in grade 8 going into grade 9 who wish to be part of the LAMC program next year. This class is a prerequisite to take the LAMC program in the fall. The class goes over all of the skills you will need to be successful in Elementary Algebra, which will be one of the required courses for freshmen to take next year who are part of the LAMC Early College Program. This means if you are currently in grade 8 moving into grade 9 and you want to participate in the LAMC Early College Program, you MUST enroll in and pass this course with a grade of C or better. The class will be offered from 0750 (7:50AM) to 1200 (12:50PM) Monday through Thursday for 8 weeks from June 28-August 20.
    3. English 101 (College Composition – 3 semester college units) (with English 72 – 1 college unit) will be offered for SIX WEEKS beginning July 12 through August 20. This class is being taught by one of the LAMC professors our students have particularly enjoyed and appreciated.
    4. Administration of Justice 160 (Police Organization and Administration – 3 semester college units) will be offered for FIVE WEEKS from July 19 through August 20 from 8AM-10AM every Monday through Thursday.
    5. Child Development 1 (Child Growth and Development – 3 semester college units) will be offered for FIVE WEEKS form July 19 through August 20 from 10AM-12 NOON every Monday through Thursday.
    6. Counseling 40 (Introduction to College Success – 3 semester college credits) will be offered from 12:30PM – 2:30PM every Monday and Wednesday for five weeks from July 19 – August 20. This course is also a requirement for all incoming freshmen to the LAMC Early College Program (that means you will take BOTH the Math 110 AND the Counseling 40 classes) this summer.

If you are interested in this program, or you have a child who is interested (or you want your child to participate in) this program, please reach out to your company counselor or Ms. Burchards at [email protected] for assistance with registering.  NVMI provides the class and all textbooks and materials free of charge.

1. SUMMER SCHOOL: Lots of people are curious about summer school, so here is the breakdown of what is happening:
    1. Any student who fails any of these subjects this semester or who failed them last semester and did not make the F up or who failed them in a previous school year must attend summer school from 8AM-12NOON Monday through Friday July 5 through July 23 – History, Science, Spanish, LOC, PE, Art, Band, or any elective course.  Please PASS all of your classes and do everything possible to make up any failed classes from fall or a previous year – otherwise you will have to come to summer school for those 3 weeks to make up those failed classes.
    2. Any student who fails English or math this semester or who failed one or both last semester and did not make the F up or who failed one or both of them in a previous school year must attend summer school from 8AM-12NOON Monday through Friday July 26 through August 13.  Please PASS all of your classes and do everything possible to make up any failed classes from fall or a previous year – otherwise you will have to come to summer school for those 3 weeks to make up those failed classes.
    3. ENGLISH AND MATH SUMMER BRIDGE – Any student who performance on the end of semester exams in math and/or English we will be taking in these final days of school indicates they are below grade level must also attend summer school (we are calling I SUMMER BRIDGE) from 8AM-12NOON Monday through Friday July 26 through August 13.  Even if you pass one or both of those classes – if your performance on those tests shows you are below grade level, you will be required to attend the 3 weeks summer school form July 26 – August 13. Please do your very best on those tests – otherwise you will have to come to ENGLISH AND MATH SUMMER BRIDGE for those 3 weeks to improve upon that math and/or English skills.
    4. NVMI will provide FREE BUS TRANSPORTATION for all of summer school, including for those taking LAMC college courses and those coming to credit recovery or Summer Bridge. If you get assigned to summer school, we will share information with you about bus stops and pick up/drop off times, etc. as we get closer to that time.
    5. NVMI will also provide free breakfast and lunch during all of summer school.
  2. CAASPP TESTING – Even though we have been in a pandemic, the US Department of Education is requiring us to give math and English tests because they want us to identify which students are below grade level and provide summer school to help those students. That’s why we are offering Summer Bridge July 26 – August 13. That testing will take place as follows:
    1. All 6th graders from 0730-1230 Monday May 24
    2. All 7th graders from 0730-1230 Tuesday May 25
    3. All 8th graders from 0730-1230 Wednesday May 26
    4. All 11th graders from 0730-1230 Thursday May 27
    5. Note that grades 9, 10, and 12 will not be taking these tests – BUT they will be taking the tests noted in #4 below.
    6. Students must come in their complete and proper PT uniform. Haircuts are NOT required.
    7. NVMI will provide free breakfast each day.
    8. NVMI will also provide a free In-n-Our burger, chips, and drink for lunch before students depart campus. 
    9. You will need to bring your Chromebook fully charged to take the test-  the test is entirely on the computer.
    10. We want everyone to do their very best on these tests. If you do well and show that you are performing at grade level, then you will not have to come to summer bridge July 26- August 13.
  3. STAR TESTS/SCANTRON TESTS- All students in all seven grade levels will take either the middle school English and math STAR tests or the high school SCANTRON English and math tests during these last days of school. These will be taken during your regular English or math class periods, and teachers will provide information about those tests to you when the time comes to take them. Again – we want everyone to do well on these tests, because if the tests show you are performing below grade level, you will need to come to Summer Bridge July 26- August 13 to work on those skills so you can get up to grade level in both of those subjects. 
  4. 4TH OF JULY PARADE – NVMI will participate in the Pacific Palisades 4th of July parade on July 4 at 1:50PM/ We plan to take our BAND, a color guard, an armed saber drill team, an armed rifle drill team, an unarmed exhibition drill team, and a marching unit.  We hope to have about 150 cadets participate. Each cadet must participate in at least one parade each semester and gets extra credit for participating in more than one per semester. This parade will fulfill your fall semester required parade or can also count as extra credit. It can also be a way to help improve your LOC grade if you are failing LOC in the spring semester.  Check with your TAC teams for more information. A permission slip will be made available to cadets before the end of May and information will be posted on our website at www.novamil.org so please stay tuned to that site and your email as we send out additional information. 
  5. COURSEE SELECTION FOR 2021-2022: Company counselors are reaching out to cadets and parents to select classes for next school year.  It is important you get your choices in so you can be scheduled for classes now.  If you have any questions about this process, please email your company counselor (Alpha = [email protected], Bravo = [email protected], Charlie = [email protected], or HQ/Band = [email protected].) Everyone should have completed this process, ideally by the end of this month, so please reach out to your counselor if you have not yet completed this. Counselors are working very hard to meet with each student and family, but they may have been unable to reach you – so feel free to reach out directly to them to participate in this important process. 
  6. GRADUATION: Senior graduation will occur Saturday June 5. Each senior has signed up for a 15-minute time slot. Here are some reminders about this process:
    1. Please DO NOT plan to arrive to much before your scheduled time slot. We are not allowed to have crowds gather in order to comply with county health guidelines.
    2. You may park on the street or on the blacktop. Safety team members will be on hand to direct parking.
    3. Each graduate is asked to limit their viewing party to 25 or less people. 
    4. Once you arrive, you will proceed to the staff parking lot, where there will be coned off areas for each spectator group to gather. You will gather all of your 25 or fewer spectators in that space and wait until you are directed to move into the ready area, which will be in the covered area near classroom 40.
    5. Please maintain social distancing at all times.
    6. When it is your time for the graduation ceremony, all spectators will move to cones positioned on the grass in the quad. Each of the 87 individual graduation ceremonies will take place on the quad stage. The graduates’ name will be announced, they will ring out of their military company, receive their class ring, receive their diploma, and then sign the Book of Traditions.
    7. After each short ceremony is concluded, the group will be asked to proceed to the literacy garden for photo opportunities, after which they will be asked to move back to the parking area for departure.
    8. For us to conduct 87 ceremonies individually, we will need everyone’s cooperation.  We realize the pandemic has created very unfortunate circumstances, but we are trying to honor each graduate as best we can.
    9. There will be a rehearsal for all graduates on Friday June 4. Seniors need to pay attention to their counselors in LOC class for details about the rehearsal.
    10. If any of you have questions about this, please reach out to your company counselor Alpha = [email protected], Bravo = [email protected], Charlie = [email protected], or HQ/Band = [email protected].)
  7. SUMMER CAMP – I know we have been putting people off about summer camp. As I said last week, there are many variables we are trying to deal with to ensure we can offer a safe camp experience.  Here are some things you should know:
    1. Assuming we have camp, all cadets who participate will be required to be fully vaccinated. NVMI will make the vaccines available to those who wish to get vaccinated here. If, for any reason, you do not wish to be vaccinated (or wish your child to be vaccinated), we understand, but since we are going to a federal military installation, vaccination is not optional.  Participating in camp is entirely optional. We anticipate the FDA approving a vaccine for children ages 12-16 sometime this week and then we will work with the vaccine provider(s) to get the vaccine to interested cadets. 
    2. Assuming we have camp, it will be completely FREE.
    3. We will ask each cadet who wishes to participate to make a $10 deposit, and when the cadet gets to camp, we will give them a $10 bill to use at the post exchange for snacks, etc. In other words, the $10 they pay in a deposit will be refunded when they arrive at camp, so they have some spending money when we go to the post exchange. For those unfamiliar, a post exchange is like a small store where cadets will be able to buy snacks, etc.  If any cadet’s family is unable to pay the $10, simply let us know, and we will provide a scholarship for the $10. We realize money is tight, and we do not want money to be a reason someone does not participate.  
    4. There will be a packet of necessary forms to complete, and we will make that packet available to everyone electronically to make it easier to return. 
    5. I hope to have the packet out by Wednesday of this week at the latest.  Again – I apologize for the delay – I know it is frustrating, but we are trying to ensure we have a plan that is safe for everyone. 
  8. TUTOR.COM – Please remember that we have a wonderful FREE resource (NVMI pays for it) for any interested students. You can get free tutoring 24 hours as day seven days a week in ANY subject simply by clicking on the tutor.com icon in your google mail “waffle.”  If you need help with accessing this, please contact any teacher or staff member, all of whom should be able to help you. 

PER ARDUA AD ASTRA! HAWKS STRONG! HAWKS SAFE! HAWKS HEALTHY!

Dr. Ryan