Supe’s Corner 3.22.21

We have received permission from both LA County and our landlord LAUSD to reopen. All students whose families completed the return to school consent form by the deadline last Friday will be receiving an invite to select a time for free COVID testing here on the NVMI campus this Thursday, March 25. It is important for students and parents to understand that due to COVID policies from the state and county, we are NOT offering in-person traditional instruction on campus. Instead, students will continue to work online, but will have the benefit of in-person adult assistance. Cadets will be with the same cohort all day every day and will not be permitted to be near anyone from another cohort. We will begin on campus sessions Monday March 29. Here are reminders and updates about the policies we will follow.

1. The NVMI campus open from 7:30AM until 6:30PM.
  2. After school programming from 3:30-6:30PM in the covered eating area.
  3. No bus transportation. NVMI provides free Metro passes.
  4. Drop off on the north side of Allegheny Street in the morning directly outside the service road gate.
  5. Cadets wear their complete PT uniform. Free uniforms are issued this Thursday to those who need them.
  6. Students will be issued color coded baseball caps this Thursday to help everyone easily identify their cohorts and assist adults in enforcing the policy that students may only be with the other members of their cohort.
  7. Uniform wear and appearance standards (including slightly relaxed hair regulations) are enforced. Cadets get inspected upon entry.
  8. The Share 9-1-1 App is used by all staff and cadets to prescreen for COVID questions. Upon entry, people who have not completed the precheck must do so on the app OR have verbal screening.
  9. All get temperature screening upon entry.
  10. Everyone will have to bring their Chromebook to access the internet. 
  11. NVMI will provide free headphones this Thursday to everyone on campus to help cancel the noise from others.
  12. Free COVID testing (via nasal swab or saliva) will take place every Monday and Thursday for everyone on campus. There is an online portal for everyone to check their test results, which are available within 24-48 hours at the latest.
  13. Breakfast and lunch and supper will be provided free to all.
  14. Cohorts may play on field together within the same cohort without making physical contact.
  15. Pick up at 1530 for those not staying after school is along Allegheny in predesignated, socially distanced locations.
  16. All wear masks on campus always. NVMI will provide free NVMI masks to everyone on campus.
  17. Social distancing always enforced.
  18. Only EIGHT students and one or two adults in every classroom as a “cohort.” Cohorts always stay together during the day.
  19. Restrooms will be cleaned after every use. Only 3 students of same gender allowed in restroom at a time.
  20. All desks now have see-through barriers.
  21. Personal protective equipment is provided free to anyone who needs it. 
  22. Disinfecting of classrooms occurs every two hours during the school day.
  23. Athletics practices and games occur after school for interested and eligible high schoolers.
  24. To participate in high school athletics, you must be eligible with NO FAILING GRADES in any high school semester that have not been successfully made up, and you must complete a physical exam and packet of forms available from Coach S at [email protected].