Plagiarism Can Destroy Your Academic Career

Stephanie Najar

What exactly is plagiarism? Plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else’s work, art, thoughts, words, song for your own credit.  When students cut and paste and submit someone else’s work as their own this is an example of plagiarism.  NVMI takes plagiarism very seriously.  Students who plagiarize their work can receive failing grades, demerits and possible suspension.  Students who continue to plagiarise in school can fail and not graduate from high school or college.

Students who have not learned that plagiarism is wrong can get a rude awakening in college and the real world.  College students who plagiarise can fail and even be expelled from college.  The consequences of plagiarism can be the loss of credits or scholarships.  In the real world anyone  who has plagiarized someone else’s work can face loss of reputation,  fines and even jail time.  Anytime you think about plagiarism ask yourself,  is it worth it? If you get caught can you live with the embarrassment and consequences? Are you ok with others looking at you as someone who cheats the system by plagiarism?  We hope that you know that plagiarism is not something that NVMI cadets do because they are honest and hardworking students who earn the grades they receive.

One solution is to restate or recreate the text, work or project and make it your own.  For example, read this sentence and think of a way to restate it in your own words: Some students think that they can do whatever they want to get the grade they expect in school.  They think nothing of using copy and paste to turn in answers that are not their own.  Instead of copying and pasting the sentences into your document, change the sentences and make them your own work.  This act of changing the sentences into your own words is called paraphrasing.  You can restate the same meaning by restating it in your own words like this: Copy and pasting answers into my work and representing the work as mine is plagiarism.  Students may think they can trick their teachers and do whatever they want but they are wrong.

Students also need to know that teachers can easily check to see if someone is submitting plagiarized work, and NVMI teachers regularly check if they suspect that a piece of work is plagiarized.

Another strategy students can use to avoid plagiarism is quoting the author.  Using quotation marks and citing the author is acceptable practice as long as you do it correctly.  It is acceptable to use quotes in your writing assignments. You must use quotation marks at the beginning and the end of the borrowed text, and you should cite where you found the quote you used.  Always give credit to someone else’s work.

NVMI cadets are taught how to write without copying someone else’s work.  Don’t damage your student reputation by turning in something that is not your own work.  Cheating the system and yourself only hurts you.  Think before you act and choose the right way.  You have all the tools you need inside yourself to do your best work.