Supe’s Corner 3.1.21

Dr. Mark Ryan

In just the past week, the reality of the COVID pandemic has changed dramatically. The metrics of hospitalizations, deaths, new infections, and ICU bed capacity have all gone dramatically in a better direction. Federal, state, and local officials have been calling for the immediate opening of schools. Finally, educators are being provided the vaccine. While all these things are wonderful news, the reality of NVMI’s status remains dependent on many factors outside my control. For instance:

1. Will LAUSD open its SECONDARY (middle and high school) schools and if so, when and to what extent? Right now, the district has said it plans to open ELEMENTARY schools on April 9, but even that has been disputed by the teacher’s union. Still, that does NOT mean SECONDARY schools, like the campus NVMI occupies will be allowed to open.
  2. How will LAUSD manage the cleaning and disinfecting of the campus, since our annual lease (more than a half million dollars!) includes those services?
  3. NVMI plans to conduct what is known as PCR COVID testing on campus with collection of saliva samples but is awaiting LAUSD approval for our plan.

In the meantime, there was also rapid movement on the athletics front. The California Interscholastic Federation that governs high school sports, along with the California and Los Angeles public health officials announced that athletic conditioning and competition could begin for various outdoor lower-risk sports. NVMI is continuing to provide socially distanced, Department of Public Health policy compliant athletic conditioning at local parks four days a week (T, W, Th and Sa), and we are quickly planning for athletic contests to begin in such sports as golf, tennis, cross country, football, track, and girls volleyball.  We are still unsure of which sports will be authorized the soonest, but we have meetings scheduled this week with the Los Angeles City Section officials to learn about plans for league competition. We will keep you posted as we find out more.  Remember cadets – to play you must not have any fails at any semester that have not been made up (remediated). If you still have classes you failed that you have not made up, we are allowing students to work with after school tutors to complete the required credit recovery courses, and as soon as all courses have been passed, those students can be eligible to play.