Home Remedies to Help Cure Covid-19

Home Remedies to Help Cure Covid-19

Anastasia Cano, Staff Writer

COVID-19 cases are increasing every day.  People continue to not take precautions, such as wearing masks.   Many people are still getting sick. Recently, one of my mom’s friends got sick with COVID-19.  She didn’t want to go to the hospital because she knew there were other elderly people who needed more help. I had the opportunity to interview my mom’s friend after she was cured to discuss how she treated herself at home. Always remember, however, if you need treatment, to seek it. 

This is an edited transcript of the interview.

Anastasia C :

“How long were you on quarantine ?”

Lorena M :

“ I stayed quarantined for 3 weeks and my parents were super helpful during this time. They would come and leave me  food, medicine, and things I needed  in front of my house without interacting with each other.”’

Anastasia C:

“Right without interacting with each other, to prevent any more infections and spreading  of the viruses.” 

Lorena M:

“ Yes exactly because the restrictions just keep getting worse, and there are people who aren’t working right now because of the restrictions closed down their store to prevent getting covid and spreading it,”

Anastasia C:

“ Since you weren’t able to leave your home, what items did your parents bring to you that helped you cure yourself?”

Lorena M:

“ They brought me lemons, aspirin, pineapples, ginger, oranges, garlic, … enough to last me for a whole month.”

Anastasia C:

“Oh okay. I’ve seen many videos on Facebook, and Instagram about an orange peel method that helps with covid-19 symptoms, but you tell me about what worked for you?”

Lorena M:

“ Yes of course, while I set my water to boil, I smashed two aspirin, and after I added the crushed up aspirin with 2 slices of lemon in the water, and I would drink that for three  days in a row .”

Anastasia C:

“ Alright, a doctor from “Keck Medicine of USC”  has mentioned that, “Scientists have also identified a loss of taste and smell among the symptoms associated with COVID-19.

“Viruses can disrupt the nerves related to smell, and they can target the tissues in the nose,” says Elisabeth D. Ference, MD, an otolaryngologist at Keck Medicine of USC and assistant professor of clinical otolaryngology – head and neck surgery at the Keck School of Medicine of USC.” When the smell is lost, often taste is, too. “Approximately 80% of the flavors we taste come from our sense of smell, so if our nerves related to smell are not working, then we also have an impairment in our sense of taste,” Ference explains. “Taste that is sensed on the tongue — salty, sweet, sour, and bitter — will still be present. However, the subtlety of food, such as oregano on pizza, will be lost.” When you had covid were there some foods or drinks you couldn’t eat because there was no taste or flavor?”

Lorena M:

“ Good question Anastasia! Honestly yes I felt too sick to even want to crave wings, pizza, or even cereal, at the beginning when I had COVID-19 my tonsils were swollen, so it was very hard for me to chew, and eat foods. It was better for me to drink things that would make me feel better sooner.”

Anastasia C:

“ In that case, what drinks did you make or did your parents make when you were quarantined ?”  

Lorena M:“Another one of the drinks that helped me cure myself, was a tea made with pineapple, lemon, ginger, oranges, garlic only and no water.I made sure to drink it when it was hot/warm because the results will become more effective. It wasn’t the best but I had to drink it the whole time I had COVID-19 to feel better.”

Anastasia C:

“Thank you for sharing Lorena, any other  home remedies you did to help cure yourself?”

Lorena M:

“Yes of course, I would make another tea with a plant named Eucalyptus, what i would do is boil water and add a few of these leaves in there, and let it get steamy hot. When it’s done boiling I take a tea size cup and  drink some. Then what I would do is put my head over the  pot and inhale the steam that’s coming out from the pot. I feel like that’s what really helped me because as much I didn’t want to have my head over a really hot pot, it helped because the virus is located around the nose and throat area.