Graduation Update for Classes of 2020 and 2021

Mark Ryan

o the Campus Community and 2020 and 2021 Graduates,

We know you have been eagerly awaiting news regarding commencement plans for North Valley Military Institute. When the Spring 2020 commencement ceremonies for the class of 2019-20 were postponed, it was our expectation that we would be able to safely return to campus at the end of the year and hold in-person ceremonies in late December 2020. However, for the health and safety of all, earlier this year it was determined that we will offer primarily virtual instruction with minimum access to campus for the foreseeable future. That decision, in addition to Los Angeles County Department of Public Health prohibitions against large public gatherings, means that in-person commencement ceremonies are not currently authorized.

I deeply regret that, in spite of our best efforts and intentions and after consultation with administrative leadership, current circumstances have led me to the decision to plan for virtual commencement ceremonies for the classes of both 2020 and 2021. These ceremonies will take place in early June 2021, and information about the virtual ceremonies will be communicated to graduates as more specific plans are confirmed and posted on the NVMI website and in the Hawks Cast News.

Commencement is a joyous celebration of the accomplishments of our graduates and the highlight of every academic year. We will do all we can to deliver a memorable virtual commencement for our graduates and their families, where all of our remarkable graduating students can be commended and celebrated.

NVMI will also continue to constantly monitor health and safety conditions and, should conditions permit, the plans for virtual ceremonies may be reassessed.

I hope that you and your families remain safe and healthy during these challenging times.

Sincerely,

Mark P. Ryan, Ph.D., Superintendent