NVMI Receives Major Federal Grant

NVMI Receives Major Federal Grant

Elisha Novoa

NVMI received a $719,339 grant from the United States Department of Justice funded through the STOP School Violence Act of 2018.

The grant money will be used over three years to provide mental health services and a classroom-based curriculum to promote student mental health. The school will be purchasing the Positive Action Curriculum that all teachers will learn to use. This curriculum offers instructional units for bullying prevention, drug education, conflict resolution, anger management, self-esteem, and positive self-image – all of which promote a positive school climate and hopefully proactively prevent incidents of school violence. The school will also have weekly therapy sessions for students that need to talk and resolve personal problems. The grant money will be used to directly help every NVMI student.

The STOP School Violence Act of 2018 seeks to improve school security by providing students and teachers with the tools they need to recognize, respond quickly to, and prevent acts of violence. It will be instrumental in providing much-needed resources to schools across the country such as NVMI.

The Stop School Violence Act Grant will also allow NVMI to put on a series of mental health and school safety training for students, staff, and teachers to learn strategies for identifying students struggling with mental health issues, which, can help stop school violence.

This year, the United States Department of Justice invested more than $87 Million in grant money to address school violence.