College Scholarship Information

College Scholarship Information

Britany Medina and Azucena Lupercio, Staff Writer

Azucena Lupercio

Britany Medina

Scholarships

Seniors, you will soon be high school graduates, and hopefully, all of you make the decision of going to college or university. As many of you know going to college or university can be very expensive. But don’t let that stop you from applying and going to college. There are many types of financial aid available to you.

Scholarships are financial aid awards that will help you pay for college that you don’t have to pay back. Often scholarships are a one-time monetary award but there are school scholarships that are renewable and are provided to students either each semester or school year. Scholarships come from a variety of different sources, including clubs, organizations, charities, foundations, businesses, colleges and universities, the government, and individuals. Every scholarship is unique and can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. Scholarships can be based on financial need, academic performance, athletics, etc. When applying for scholarships you have to keep in mind that many scholarships have certain requirements for eligibility. You will also want to make sure you are applying for scholarships before the deadlines, as they vary.

A scholarship all of you can apply to is the Coca-Cola scholars program scholarship. This scholarship is part of the Coca-Cola Scholarship Foundation, in which according to their website, “The Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation supports more than 1,400 exceptional college students each year, with annual scholarships of $3.55 million awarded through 3 nationally recognized programs.” It is a scholarship based on achievement that is awarded to graduating seniors.  According to Coca- Cola Scholars Foundation these students are recognized for their capacity to lead and serve, as well as their commitment to making a significant impact on their schools and communities. In order for you to be eligible to apply for this scholarship, you must be a current high school student attending a school in the U.S who will be graduating in the 2020-2021 school year. Based on the guidelines utilized for by the U.S Department of Education for Federal Financial Aid eligibility you must be U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, U.S. Permanent Residents, Refugees, Asylees, Cuban-Haitian Entrants, or Humanitarian Parolees. You must receive your high school diploma during your current academic year and plan on pursuing a degree at an accredited U.S post-secondary institution. 

The Gates Millennium Scholarship Program was funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. It was established in 1999 to provide outstanding low-income African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American, and Hispanic American students with an opportunity to complete an undergraduate degree. One thousand new scholars are selected each year and there have been twenty thousand Gates Scholars since 2000. In order for you to be eligible for this scholarship, you must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.This scholarship weights the essay portion of the application heavily.. This scholarship covers the cost of education by covering unmet need and self-help aid, including graduate school funding for continuing education.   Scholarships are focused  in the areas of computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health or science.

Remember, it might be a lot of work to apply and search for scholarships but in the end, you are gaining FREE MONEY and every bit of help you can get is helpful.

Remember Seniors Apply For A Scholarship!!!

Here are two websites you can use to search and apply for scholarships: 

https://www.scholarships.com/ and https://www.fastweb.com/

The link for the Coca-Cola Scholars Scholarship Program:

https://www.coca-colascholarsfoundation.org/apply/

The link for the Gates Millennium Scholars Program:

https://gmsp.org/